Since this is the “dreaded day” for many who have a fear of Friday the 13th, I gathered some interesting “trivia” from around the Internet.
Enjoy and I’ll be chatting some more later today!
First however, for those who are in need of some protection there are silly rituals and cures galore to protect them on Friday the 13th. A few of them are:
1.Walk around your house 13 times on Friday the 13th.
2.Hang your shoes out the window. (My guess is the smell will drive all the evil away!)
3.Sleep with a mirror under your pillow for the first 3 Fridays before Friday the 13th comes. You are suppose to dream of your true love on Friday the 13th then also.
4.Walk around the block with your mouth full of water. If you do not swallow it, you will be 100% safe on Friday the 13th.
And finally there’s always 13th century age-old Aristotle cure…
5. Wear and/or eat garlic!
and now onto the TRIVIA…
1. According to Smithsonian Magazine “fear of the #13 costs American a billion dollars per year in absenteeism, train and plane cancellations, and reduced commerce on the 13th of the month.”
2. Fear of Friday the 13th dates back to Nordic Mythology. Many of their thirteenth Gods met with violent deaths, such as Loki, the trickster.
3. Ancient Romans regarded the number 13 as a symbol of death, destruction and misfortune.
4. Lizzy Borden uttered a total of 13 words at her trial.
5. A witches coven consists of 13 members.
6. Tarot Card number 13 is the Death Card, depicting the Grim Reaper (although it is read as transition or change and not literal death).
7. Hotels rarely have a room number 13. Usually it is called 12a or 14. Same with floors of high rise buildings. Many elevators are without a #13 button. Highways sometimes will skip exit 13 altogether also.
8. There are 13 steps leading to the gallows.
9. There are 13 knots in a hangman’s noose.
10. The blade of a guillotine falls 13 feet.
11. The driver of Princess Diana hit pillar #13 at Place de l’Alma when she was killed in Paris, France.
12. Certain ocean liners will be held in dock until after midnight to appease passenger’s fears on Friday the 13th.
13. Apollo 13, the 13th mission launched from pad #39 (13 x 3), the mission was aborted after an explosion occurred in the fuel cell of their service module. The rocket had left launching pad at 13:13 CST and the date was April 13th.
You are now leaving the TWILIGHT ZONE………